Rock/Soul/Prog, Spring 2008

Well. How bout that.

March 29th, 2008 by · No Comments

A couple of nights ago, I was pawning some Easter chocolate off to my friend Zack. As he was eating, we got to talking about his family, which was interesting, but then he told me something significantly more interesting. He glanced over and saw my copy of Sweet Soul Music and (being that we had recently watched The Commitments together) commented, “You’re really on a soul kick, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I suppose so,” I said.

“Hey, did I ever tell you that I used to live across the street from Wilson Pickett?”

I was stunned. I had never known that Wilson Pickett lived in NoVA, and I certainly never entertained the idea that people that go to UMW could have interacted with him.

“No… I never heard that.”

“Yeah, the first time I saw him, his bald head was getting pecked by birds. I think it may have been the greatest day of my life.”

Instantly, I was fascinated. I couldn’t even begin to process the information I was being given, but I listened intently because first hand accounts of musicians after the fact is relatively rare. Zack told me about living near Pickett like he was telling me what the weather was like today. He had no idea what the gold mine he had on his hands. Well, to people like me… and I don’t know how many people like me there are here. Anyway, here’s how the story went:

“He was kind of a douche bag, but he was still a nice old man. It’s just he got pretty senile near the end. He hung out with our creepy Asian neighbor that no one else talked to… they would go fishing¬† and have cook outs. He had a FOXY young thing chasing after him though. I mean, he was Wilson Pickett! He was loaded! He bought a house in Northern VA in cash.¬† He was crazy.”

There was more that he told me, but I can’t remember what he said, just the images that flashed in my head when he said it. Overall, I’d call it a blog worthy conversation.

Original post by maganc

Tags: Uncategorized