Rock/Soul/Prog, Spring 2008

Instruments

February 27th, 2008 by · 5 Comments

In the 6th grade I learned to play my first instrument, which happened to be the ever-popular French horn. I was absolutely terrible; therefore I was placed in the prestigious third chair out of a grand total of three other chairs in the French horn section of the band. Even when a trumpet player, who sat in the row behind me, decided to take up the French horn in the 7th grade, he still usurped my abilities and pushed me another chair back. After 3 years of agony, I decided to pick up an instrument a tad more practical, so I settled on the piano. My skills at a completely different instrument remained the same—nonexistent. I quite the piano after another two years and decided to learn about music from an auditory stand instead of one of actual practice.

Despite my horrendous playing ability, I believe that everyone should learn to play an instrument. Though I failed miserably in this endeavor, I learned so much more about music, and I gained a better understanding of the technical aspects like beat, tempo, tone, pitch, etc involved in all music. Listening to music now, I can often times distinctly pick out instruments and melodies that I remember from my terrible stint in the band. These terms and bits of knowledge have consequentially helped me to appreciate music better and to talk about it more intelligently.

In addition to this, learning to play an instrument helps cognitively and physically as has been proven by many studies. There are articles all over that spout the benefits of music on a child’s capacity to learn in all aspects of life including socially, emotionally, and creatively. Music has even had therapeutic results on people with disabilities and learning issues which further supports my assertion. Thus, though my experiences with music were troublesome, I took away a lot, and now I believe that all people should learn to play an instrument.

Original post by karl

Tags: Uncategorized

5 responses so far ↓

• Instruments-unlimited music downloads // Feb 27th 2008 at 1:14 pm

[…] Melissa wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI quite the piano after another two years and decided to learn about music from an auditory stand instead of one of actual practice. Despite my horrendous playing ability, I believe that everyone should learn to play an instrument. … […]

• Instruments-Music Lyrics Download // Feb 27th 2008 at 1:15 pm

• Instruments-download music // Feb 27th 2008 at 1:25 pm

• Instruments-Music Download // Feb 27th 2008 at 2:35 pm

[…] Scott Walters wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI quite the piano after another two years and decided to learn about music from an auditory stand instead of one of actual practice. Despite my horrendous playing ability, I believe that everyone should learn to play an instrument. … […]

• Instruments-music downloads // Feb 27th 2008 at 2:53 pm

[…] Sriram Gopal wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerptI quite the piano after another two years and decided to learn about music from an auditory stand instead of one of actual practice. Despite my horrendous playing ability, I believe that everyone should learn to play an instrument. … […]